Re: [IPk] Re: glucowatch

That's true but the glucowatch does not give an instant bg result it is
always 20 mins behind. I bought my first meters i n 1978 at a cost of
#120 and because the doctors at the time were very sceptical  I used to
have to check it in the clinic against lots of other patients bgs!  It
was never wrong , yes it was more time consuming but eventaually they
believed it but they can;t have been ebtirely convinced because I  used
to have to be admited for monitoring when I was pregnant-even though the
machine was comparable to lab tests.

The Glucowatch was devloped in the US and is not available there. We are
being used as guinea pigs for it. Like any new product the co have
invested billions of dollars in the technology and want to recover their
investment without litigation as could happenin the states It is a good
product but I would like to wait for the improvements before spending an
awful lot MORE money on a product that can be greatly improved
Carmel>From: Steven J Sexton <email @ redacted>

>Subject: Re: [IPk] Re: glucowatch >Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 22:59:59 +0100
> >David > >I think it depends on what you want it to do and what it was
>designed to >do, which may be two slightly different things. > >As a
piece of new technology to measure BG levels with finger >pricking it
>has to be good news and some could say it has been a long time >coming.
The >fact that at the moment it can't be used as a direct replacement for
>BG >testing or cannot be used under some circumstances is understandable
>because the technology is new and it has only had a limited testing >&
>development. Know doubt with time it will be a suitable alternative >to
BG >testing. > >In terms of reliability and accuracy, I think if you look
back at >when BG >meters were first introduced - how accurate and
reliable were they >at the >time and particularly if you compare them
with todays meters. > >In terms of availability, again when BG meters
were first introduced >I >don't believe they were instantly available to
everybody. Today, >insulin >pumps are only available from selected
diabetic clinics in the UK. > >Potentally it is a useful product and no
doubt in a few years time >we will >all be using some form of
non-invasive technology to measure our BGs >and >wondering about all the
fuss was about. I have no doubt that at some >time >in the future
continuous blood glucose monitors will be linked to >pumps >with some
very sophisticated software to create an some form of >artificial
>pancreas. > >Steven > > > >>I think this has been advertised >>totally
wrong its definatly been advertised as something dosn't do >>what WE