RE: [IPk] Re: glucowatch

Why does it all take so long? Sorry I'm not an engineer.  We went to a
Glucowatch presentation this pm and was a little dissappointed. You can't
wear it during excercise, it takes 3 hrs on your skin before it starts
working and then if you decide to have a shower you have to take the
whole thing off and start again-the rep couldn't even recommend it for
hill-walking as any perspiration curtails the function. The main
advantage would be for overnight monitoring and I would be tempted for
that reason. You have to test prior to bolusing with a meter so it
doesn't replace the meter but it is a shame you have to buy them. In my
ignorance I expected an inobtrusive looking watch but I think it would
get in the way So all in all personally I feel there are a lot of
improvements to be made and I am sure it will be worth looking in to then
Carmel (looking for perfection?)                     >From: John Neale
<email @ redacted! ASE.NET> >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: RE: [IPk] Re: glucowatch >Date: Mon,
2 Jul 2001 22:17:47 +0200 > > >No I agree that that is the obvious
progression but the pump would also > >require for safety a second phial
for a strong dextrose solution for when > >things happen that make you
blood sugar drop. for it to be a real pancreas > >replacement. But
without this and an alarm system to let you know when > >levels are low
would be a fantastic interim step. > >I believe some of the prototype
implanted pumps that being developed but >are not yet available use
glucagon as well as insulin. This is the >anti-insulin hormone, which
cancels out whatever the insulin is doing. >Supposedly does it better and
quicker than glucose/dextrose and doesn't >make you fat in the process
:-) > >John > >-- >mailto:email @ redacted