RE: [IPk] Re: glucowatch

The next version of the watch might contain a similar chip to the MiniMed
508 remote control, and "broadcast" the bg estimation to the pump. If the
pump contains some new software, it can use that information to make
constant adjustments.

I accept that the software would not be simple, but, with appropriate
caution, it could make good use of the data. We might still have to
manually program a bolus when we eat - since it might be somewhat late to
wait for the bg to rise before bolussing - but I would be more than happy
to let my pump take over the constant tweaking and fiddling with basal

Or am I missing something here?

Liz's husband Antony writes:

Hi, I've been watching all this with great interest; this in particular is
very similar to an idea I came up with very shortly after Liz went on the
pump 2 months ago.

The interface between continuous BG monitor and pump could actually be very
very simple.

How simple? Well, a lower-second rate (sorry, class) engineering student
would be able to make one using just a few quid's worth of components from
the RS catalogue. A more computer literate student would be able to write
perfectly suitable software to do the same job but with fewer chips and less
soldering required.

How do I know? Six years ago, I was that lower-second class engineering
student (Loughborough Uni, BEng Electronic & Electrical Engineering, 2.ii,
if you're at all interested). The main part of my final year project was a
dead-band comparator, which is basically what is needed. In this application
you'd probably want four limits, two above and two below a target BG, to
give first a warning then an alarm, with suitable responses from the pump to
go with each and/or to let you know to eat something.

Obviously you'd want to retain a manual over-ride for meal boluses and the
unit would have to take these into account, however the basic system would
be very simple.

I still have the project report too, but only in hardcopy!

Antony Hawkins