Re: [email @ redacted: [IPk] basal rate/ shift pattern]

> I,ve been pumping for 2 months. I work an odd shift pattern (a week of
>evenings, a week of nights and then a week of days. I find that during
>evening shifts I have to reduce my basal to between 40 and 60% of normal to
>avoid hypos even though it's not a physically demanding job. This
>requirement semms to continue for around the first half of the night shift,
>during which I have to reduce the rate to 60 to 80% after 2 am. Towards the
>middle of the week of nights my evening requirements seem to increase so I
>alter my basal rate to the normal amount but the blood glucose continues to
>climb so I have sometimes to repeatedly bolus to correct a high BG. I also
>that I need more insulin overnight.
>Does anyone else have a similar phenomenon or any idea as to why this
>happens? ( I'm starting a job with mure regular hours in August and hope
>that things really settle down then)

Hi Abigail
I too find that I need more insulin at night during the day, which I don't
think is only linked to the fact that I'm less active.
I've just been reading a really interesting article about research into
sleep and hormones. It seems there are all kinds of things going on at
night or when we sleep, and there's a lot of debate about what they're
linked to and whether it's something hard-coded or adaptable depending on
external or internal factors. Fascinating stuff.

Anyway, I don't work shifts, but if I'm, say, up until the early hours of
the morning or even all night, I tend to go low. If I did it on a regular
basis, I would lower my nighttime basal rates for these times.

Certainly I can understand why you have such problems. Your body is
constantly trying to adapt to new patterns. if you hvae a strong dawn
phenomenon, this is bound to be affected too. It's a bit like constantly
changing time zones - your body takes several days to adjust, so certain
hormones may be kicking in at the wrong time. if you're tired enough, it
may not affect your sleep, so you don't feel "jetlagged" as such, but the
hormones are definitely doing weird things!
I guess once you find a regular pattern to it all, you can pre-empt it with
basal changes.