[IPk] basal rate/ shift pattern

----- Original Message -----
From: Ian Grant <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 9:57 AM
Subject: [IPk] re; Time on Pump

> Hi All,
> I felt it was time to join the debate, having been on the pump for coming
> to 20 years.
> I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1970, aged 19. I went on the Guys pump
> in 1981 with Dr Martin Wiseman. I was identified as having hyperactive
> kidneys that were very large by volume but working normally. I had also
> volunteered to do any research project, mainly because a female cousin had
> just been found to have type 1 aged 2, following the removal of a brain
> tumor. I felt that contributing a live diabetic body was the best way to
> assist in finding better treatments and hopefully a cure! I have never
> regretted that decision although some of the research projects have been
> pretty uncomfortable. If anyone is asked to participate in a project that
> involves water loading think hard before saying yes.
> After 2 years on the pump the size of my kidneys reduced although their
> function remained the same.
> Regarding hypo awareness, I only noticed a change at the various times I
> changed insulin - most noticeable on the change from animal to human.
> However after a short period of settling in, I find I still get exactly
> same warning signs as when I first had diabetes. I have never needed
> assistance with a hypo (touch wood) and long may that last.
> Over the years my control initially got much better but gradually I have
> become more complacent and my control has slipped fairly badly compared
> many of you on the list. This is because, in my case, the pump allows me
> forget that I have diabetes. It is nothing to do with any medical reason -
> simply laziness! I have used 4 different pumps (currently minimed 506) and
> have never experienced a breakdown.
> Happily (luckily?) I have had no complications. I do not wear glasses and
> the small "spot" in my left eye hasn't moved or changed size in the last 7
> years. It is too small and too close to the optic nerve to zap.
> The message I wanted to get across is firstly we are all different in how
> diabetes treats us and how we treat it. Some take it more seriously than
> others and some suffer complications despite good control while others
> me) seem to avoid complications despite not being a very "good" diabetic.
> The beauty of this list is that it enables all of us to express views,
> thoughts, ideas etc which seem to prove how different we all are and what
> strange condition we all have.
> My motto has always been to control my diabetes without letting it control
> me. The pump allows me to do that.
> Ian Grant
> I,ve been pumping for 2 months. I work an odd shift pattern (a week of
evenings, a week of nights and then a week of days. I find that during
evening shifts I have to reduce my basal to between 40 and 60% of normal to
avoid hypos even though it's not a physically demanding job. This
requirement semms to continue for around the first half of the night shift,
during which I have to reduce the rate to 60 to 80% after 2 am. Towards the
middle of the week of nights my evening requirements seem to increase so I
alter my basal rate to the normal amount but the blood glucose continues to
climb so I have sometimes to repeatedly bolus to correct a high BG. I also
that I need more insulin overnight.
Does anyone else have a similar phenomenon or any idea as to why this
happens? ( I'm starting a job with mure regular hours in August and hope
that things really settle down then)