[IPk] re; Time on Pump

Hi All,
I felt it was time to join the debate, having been on the pump for coming up
to 20 years.
I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1970, aged 19. I went on the Guys pump trial
in 1981 with Dr Martin Wiseman. I was identified as having hyperactive
kidneys that were very large by volume but working normally. I had also
volunteered to do any research project, mainly because a female cousin had
just been found to have type 1 aged 2, following the removal of a brain
tumor. I felt that contributing a live diabetic body was the best way to
assist in finding better treatments and hopefully a cure! I have never
regretted that decision although some of the research projects have been
pretty uncomfortable. If anyone is asked to participate in a project that
involves water loading think hard before saying yes.
After 2 years on the pump the size of my kidneys reduced although their
function remained the same.
Regarding hypo awareness, I only noticed a change at the various times I
changed insulin - most noticeable on the change from animal to human.
However after a short period of settling in, I find I still get exactly the
same warning signs as when I first had diabetes. I have never needed
assistance with a hypo (touch wood) and long may that last.
Over the years my control initially got much better but gradually I have
become more complacent and my control has slipped fairly badly compared with
many of you on the list. This is because, in my case, the pump allows me to
forget that I have diabetes. It is nothing to do with any medical reason -
simply laziness! I have used 4 different pumps (currently minimed 506) and
have never experienced a breakdown.
Happily (luckily?) I have had no complications. I do not wear glasses and
the small "spot" in my left eye hasn't moved or changed size in the last 7
years. It is too small and too close to the optic nerve to zap.
The message I wanted to get across is firstly we are all different in how
diabetes treats us and how we treat it. Some take it more seriously than
others and some suffer complications despite good control while others (like
me) seem to avoid complications despite not being a very "good" diabetic.
The beauty of this list is that it enables all of us to express views,
thoughts, ideas etc which seem to prove how different we all are and what a
strange condition we all have.
My motto has always been to control my diabetes without letting it control
me. The pump allows me to do that.

Ian Grant