[IPk] Fw: Hi there pumpers!

----- Original Message -----
From: email @ redacted>Tim Attwooll
To: email @ redacted>email @ redacted
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 3:25 PM
Subject: Fw: Hi there pumpers!

----- Original Message -----
From: email @ redacted>Tim Attwooll
To: email @ redacted>email @ redacted
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 11:05 AM
Subject: Hi there pumpers!

Hi - My name is Tim Attwooll and this is the second time I've subscribed to the pumpers group.
My PC and email failed a while back so I've started again with another service provider.
I've been on the pump since early March this year and I'm on a Disetronic clinical trial based at Harrogate
hospital (and several other countries simultaneously). I met someone at a BDA conference in late '98 who told
me the pump had completely changed her life. After that I did a lot of self-educating via the net and decided
I had to try this out for myself. (I was originally put off investigating pumps in the early 80's bacuase of reported
scare stories). After many phone calls I eventually found that this trial was going to take place but had to wait
patiently for 15 months before I actually got my pump. If I could have afforded it, I could have bought one on a months'
trial from Minimed but I decided that 8 months free experience with access to expert medical advisers, all of whom
are motivated to help you gain maximum benefit from the pump and so prove that they are worth making available
to any interested and suitable diabetic, was worth waiting for. I'll no doubt relate my experiences in detail later when
I have more time but suffice it to say that my hopes and expectations were justified even within the first week.
Now I'm learning how to adjust the pump to my changing insulin sensitivity - this requires a whole new approach
after 18 years of injection therapy. In order to learn how to fine tune and maximize my control (I'm a bit of a
perfectionist!), I've just finishing wearing a Minimed Continuous Blood Glucose Monitor, which has measured my
blood glucose every 5 minutes for 3 days. The results of this are downloaded into a PC. I've yet to receive a print-out
but it should prove very interesting to see what happens between the tests I do (sometimes over 10 a day) -
particularly what is happening through the night. When I finish the trial in October I definitely want to buy my own pump
so any advice on how to fund this would be most welcome - I can't afford 2000 or easily pay for all the infusion sets and
cartidges etc. on an ongoing basis.
I live near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, work in Electronics design and am a keen church-going, amateur musician.
Thats all for now!
Tim Attwooll