Re: [IPk] Reason for age given

At 11-07-00 01:38 +0200, you wrote:

>Jeremy - Where are you getting this idea that control by pump fades after a
I think I have explained this many times. But once again from my own
experience after about 15 or so years using a pump I found my control was
becoming more and more hard to control, having been excellent from not long
after first using a pump. I ask you how many people do you know who have
been using a pump for more than a decade? Do you know of any form of
research connected with long term use of a pump? If you do I would be
exceedingly pleased to know. I do not mean that the pump fades but that the
body's reaction to its use begins to overcome it - as is the case with very
many forms of medicine.
While having been told that I am wrong by almost everybody, perhaps I might
have caused people to think about the long term future use of pumps. A cure
to diabetes will not be available within 10 years, maybe 20 yes, but
everybody seems to have nothing but praise for the pump, I am doing no more
than asking for some caution, in ways that would obviously appear to upset
If you had read some previous messages I related the fact that the first
non-invasive BG meter was applying for a licence (and it is British), that
possibly due to pressure from some members of this list there is now a good
chance that pumps will be included in the NSF, for diabetes, leading on to
their inclusion within NICE. This is the first real step towards their
inclusion on prescription. One of the main people behind this is someone
you speak very badly of, so I shall not include his name, but note that
without him there would be no chance whatsoever of the above happening.
I believe that I am doing no more than asking people to consider that
perhaps pumps do not offer the same wonderful effects, forever. In the same
fashion people should not get too excited about Shapiro's possible results.
At present the results are very short term, they require donations from 4-5
pancreases and are added to every month. If they do prove what they seem to
show the effects will only be there for those with money (the same
situation as pumps?). I can also inform you that hurried action is being
taken to try to repeat his results at multi-centres in Britain, but of
course this money could be used for pumps, which action would you prefer?
If you have statistics that prove that what I am warning of regarding long
term pump use is not true, I would be extremely grateful, and that would be
the best way to shut me up. One thing I suggested was that children
starting using the pump where effectively collated into a research group.
Obviously those not willing would not be forced so to do but then real
facts about the use of pumps in children would be known (in a few years
from now). Currently, as far as I am aware, there is no collection of
details. The UKPDS, research into type2 diabetes, that produced unexpected
results was the result of many people and many years of data collection.
If such collection of data of pump users was done (not just children) in a
critical manner, under research conditions it would be much easier to prove
their benefit, currently in the short term but eventually over many years.
My position is one of caution, I do not think medicines/apparatus should be
promoted without care and caution. My caution especially with pump use in
children is related to this. There should be some national (in USA) or
global collection of outcomes of pump use with children, before they are
promoted too widely.
As I am informed by diabetic medical researchers that the primary
likelihood of getting long term complications is one's genetic structure,
the pump should not be looked upon as the answer to complications. I argued
against this information when given to me, but was informed that this was
what research had shown time and time again. Obviously good control is a
very important factor, but apparently if someone is going to get
complications (at whatever stage of diabetes) they will get them. The only
comparison I can think of is the often quoted one whereby a chain smoker
has no signs of lung problems after 60 years of smoking but someone else
who only smoked once a week dies from lung cancer.
I apologize for repeating myself, but I think too great promotion, within
children (by which I primarily mean under10) before all the facts are known
and understood may not prove beneficial.
When I had been using a pump for only 2-3 years I thought it wonderful and
thought every diabetic should be able to have one immediately, indeed at
that time I did a walk across the country raising 6000 for diabetic
research, to thank doctors for the invention of the pump. I would have
raised a lot more if I had not upset certain people, as I have a tendency
to do! If proper action had been taken then, regarding those who were using
pumps, my current concern about the introduction of pumps to young children
would not be active.
To those who believe that long term complications started during puberty,
research would tend to suggest that using a pump at that time would not
have stopped them but only delayed them (if the pump had been used at such
a time of change to the mind, as well as the body, to maintain good control).
To end I repeat that the answer to your question is my own experience.

>Personally I have very high hopes that within 10 years we shall see a major
>change in the way Type 1 diabetes is treated. And will look back in horror
>at those dark days at the turn of the century, when we used to cut our
>fingers open to test our blood glucose level and inject insulin into our
>fat, and chaotically try and match it to what we were eating...
The above statement was being made twenty years ago, the only real advance
has been the introduction of HBa1C and human insulin, which many people
wish had never been invented.

>But in the meantime I have a life to lead. I shall live it to the full as
>ever, but try my damnedest to stay free of complications - so I can enjoy
>the party when a decent cure finally arrives.
While you're younger than myself I think you will have to wait 15-20 years
before a cure be available, although personally I do believe it will be
found within 20 years, for the first time in my life. The only problem is
that initially it will only be available to those with the money, so don't
spend too much living life to the full.