Re: Fwd: Re: [IPk] The pump & hypo awareness

Well I'm afraid I agree with Jeremy on these issues.You don't have to
experience a condition to empathise with the person but as someone who like
jeremy grew up with Diabetes from the age of three, in the days of glass
syringes and urine testing with tablets being the only method of assessing
control apart from the odd random glucose test and survived I can see his
point.The importance of absolute tight control in children is very difficult
to achieve without infringeing their freedom .Why would you want to give a
child a pump to eat high cho junk food which is not healthy anyway. Children
are mostly entralled by the novelty of their pens and I notice that type
1IDDM seems to be more prevalent nowadays than in my day judging by the
amount of Diabetic children that my sons know. Pumps as we know are
expensive and it will be years if ever they are feely available.They are at
the end of the day an alternative means of insulin delivery.How will parents
feel if only the more affluent can provide them
It is well documented that some teenage children rebel and in some ways the
pump can be less discreet than pens. My fingers hurt now I don't know that I
could inflict that soreness on a child.There is no right and wrong answer I
am sure but I hope that whoever starts their child on a pump thinks long and
hard and looks beyond the results and scientific reords and blood results
because sometimes there is no real explanation and a lot lies undiscovered.
Whatever one decides the most important thing is to love and support that
child so he or she can grow into an independant adultwith minimal
psycological trauma. Carmel