Fwd: Re: [IPk] The pump & hypo awareness

> [...]
>>to hold!
>Could I just make one point that in every reply, "rant" or not, no one
>mentioned the point I made about this not being a rule, with regard to
>there being exceptions.
>Having diabetes since the age of two I think I know what it is like to
>grow up with diabetes, I would not describe it as hell, as someone did.
>The only real problem I came across was other people's ignorance of the
>subject and how they believed I should be treated. The point I made about
>there being exceptions applies in situations such as I know about of where
>a young girl, now only in her twenties is already suffering from severe
>complications. I note that in the majority of cases long term
>complications are not developed in the first ten years of controlled
>treatment. I am not sure who it was thought I had but I did not mention
>great concern about the loss of hypo awareness early on.
>Perhaps if after using the pump for 15 years you discover that problems
>are returning your wish will be that you had delayed starting its use. As
>I mentioned there is not any long term research of long time use of the
>pump. With regard to not delaying the use of new medical procedures I
>wonder what those who used phalidomide think. My statement referred to
>there not being the research, yet! There are several people alive who have
>had diabetes for over 60 years and some for over 70. With some exceptions
>there is not a great deal to be lost by being cautious. With the use of
>pen injectors, diabetes in most cases can be controlled, without hell and
>without problems. I realise that for people who suffer severely from the
>dawn phenomenon the pump may well be the only solution, but this
>phenomenon applies to only a small percentage of diabetics.
>With regard to appreciation coming from previous experience I suggest that
>the archives of this list be read. John may well curse the fact that the
>pump does not measure his BG and solve problems in that way. I have been
>involved with trying to advance this and you may be pleased to know that
>the first non-invasive blood sugar meter is currently in the process of
>applying for a licence as I write.
>I am not saying that a child should not have the use of a pump. My primary
>reason for what I wrote is the lack of research at present. I repeat that
>life is not hell without a pump, as I grew up purified insulins had not
>been invented, pens had not been invented and a very strict diet had to be
>applied, most of the time but this did not affect my life. My appreciation
>of a pump can not be said and unlike John I do not curse it for being
>unable to measure BGs, so perhaps my life is more enjoyable than John's at
>the moment, because of earlier experience. I think Michael suggesting than
>I think old wooden legs should be used is somewhat away from the point and
>I do not appreciate it very much having just had my hip replaced.
If I am to take all your views as I read them you are all in favour of the
government's change in the driving laws, banning vehicles over 3.5 tons.
This decision was made without proper research, effectively on the whim of
someone who believed all diabetics collapsed at the wheel and caused
accidents. Just because a pump has proven to be a big advantage to some
children (whether it is an advantage to infants using it could be
questioned), does not mean that there will be no long term come back. Some
diabetics have collapsed at the wheel, but only a few. I was not saying
that children should not have pumps, I was saying use caution and find out
what long term research proves. Before most drugs etc. are used they
require research, I think it could well prove beneficial if those children
who are using pumps were involved in research and depending upon what
results are seen then promote or restrict their use with young children. If
my letter was read from the beginning I think I wrote that I was cautious
or concerned about their promotion with young children - I did not say they
must not be used by children.