Re: [IPk] The pump & hypo awareness

>>My god, Jeremy, you only had one hypo in 8-9 years? That is amazing!
>>And was this before home blood testing too?
>No it was well after home blood testing (mid 80s-90s), sorry if I confused.

Well, it's still pretty amazing!

>What I mean is that I think it most (not all) cases, there can be some an
>advantage in delaying the introduction of a pump to children, for two
>reasons. Firstly anything is appreciated much more if the advantage of it
>can be compared with an earlier time without it. If a child is introduced
>to a pump soon after diagnosis they are not in a position to be able to
>realise how much better it is than conventional therapy. A comparison could
>be made with a person who was born blind, they do not know what they are
>missing and life is normal (and pleasant?).

OK, here's where I disagree with you.
Why make a child suffer unnecessarily, just so that it will appreciate
things more?
Why not deny the child use of insulin for a few days, so that it will truly
appreciate it when it does get it?
Why not make everyone go back to urine testing for a few weeks so they will
truly appreciate the ease, convenience, and precision of home blood testing?

As for comparison with blind people, you absolutely cannot make sweeping
statements like that. For many blind people, having had the ability to see
early on has brought them a host of advantages. They may know what they are
missing, but at least they have experienced it, and they have memories
which can help them. In many ways, it is much harder for people without
sight to learn to do things is they have once been exposed to them sighted.
Even things like understanding the rules of English grammar canbe veryu
difficult for someone who's never been able to read anything except
Braille. But that isn't the point.

  >   The second reason is that, from  >talking to
>Stephanie Amiel, loss of hypo awareness is always recoverable  >and if it
>does cause any harm it is very, very minor

So why are you so worried about its effect on people in their teens and
early 20s, as you mentioned in your last email?

 . Given this I do not
>believe that anything is lost by a child possibly losing hypo awareness,
>for a period of time.

Jeremy, I cannot believe you just said that.
If you don't know why, then I'm not even going to bother arguing.

>My concern is primarily when the pump is given to children under
the age  >of  ten. What I think would be a good guideline, until there is
more  >knowledge of long term use of the pump, is that 15 would seem a
reasonable  >age to begin use of the pump.

So if a child has had diabetes since, say, the age of 5, it might have to
experience 10 years of hell first. 10 years of bad control is quite long
enough to develop irreversible complications.

  If my experience proves a rough norm this
>would then mean that problems would not begin until the early thirties,
>(rather than possibly while at university) when I believe the person is in
 >a much better position to take them on.

Why are they in a better position? When they're at an important point in
their career, i cannot believe that this is a good time (as if any time
were good) to experience HU.

 In any case, this is such a sweeping statement.
You should know that people are VASTLY different in how many aspects of
diabetes affects them. You simply cannot generalise that everyone who uses
a pum pwill have hypo unawareness problems after no more and no less than 15
years, regardless of other factors.