Re: [IPk] Control >4 and <8

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, you wrote:
>Hello Diana,
>I think that I have been misunderstood somewhere along the line. At no point
>did I say that I did not watch what I eat or monitor my insulin intake. If I
>did not I believe I would not have got this far without complications.
>What I was trying to say was that I have monitored my insulin intake more by
>instinct than by calculation.

OK, apologies, I may have misunderstood slightly. I too measure a lot of my
food by instinct - for example I know that a typical salad that I make
myself will have about 10g carb in, without bothering to figure out exactly
what I've put in it and work out the precise carb content of each
constituent. I can look at a slice of cake and guess its carb content
reasonably accurately, though of course sometimes things take me by
surprise. And I often think in terms of insulin units rather than carbs,
but I know exactly how many carbs there are to each insulin unit, so it
just saves time to think in insulin rather than carbs (like thinking
directly in a foreign language rather than thinking in your own language
and then translating). So I guess we're actually arguing the same point :-)

I do not eat pre cooked food very much so I do
>not have the possibility to read the carbohydrate content from labels of
>what I eat and take insulin to counteract.

Nor do I, but most of the raw ingredients from which I cook have the
nutrition info on them (apart from things like fruit and vegetables,
but you soon learn their carb content).

  Those prepared foods I do eat >such as the occasional piazza, I
find the carbohydrate readings to be >grossly inaccurate so I usually take
more insulin than is suggested by the >printed carb values.

Ah well, pizza is a whole  'nother issue......

>Please don't get me wrong I am not trying to make light of our complaint or
>its management. What I find works will not suit others and so on. The
>message I would like to pass on is that we should not become pre-occupied
>with management but let experience teach us what works best and follow our
>instincts more.

OK, I disagree slightly here. Obviously there is a level at which diligence
truns into obsession. For some, the amount of "pre-occupation" needed is
great er than others. That's something you have to work out for yourself,
depending on a whole range of factors.

  The pump has the flexibility to take
up the slack quickly, >when we get it wrong.

That's true. For some, this may be perfectly acceptable. For me, much
of the time it is. Others may not be able to afford this luxury.For
example,  the person who's hypo unaware may not want to risk going 0.5
mmol/l too low, which might be the difference between taking 3 units of
insulin and 3.1 units. OK, that's a pretty aexceptional case, but you get
my point. Di