Re: [IPk] The pump & hypo awareness

>In answer to Elizabeth's question about being able to maintain control
>without some regular (small) hypos I note that for a period of 8-9 years
>(after being on a pump for 5 years initially) I only encountered one hypo.

My god, Jeremy, you only had one hypo in 8-9 years? That is amazing!
And was this before home blood testing too?

>Since then hypos have become more frequent again. This experience causes me
>concern about the body's ability to overcome anything alien. While people
>may be well controlled on one (MDI) regime for some time, this control
>usually begins to fail later. I believe from my own experience the same
>may(?) be true for the pump, although it would seem that the period of time
>is very much longer (15+ years). There has been no controlled research to
>discover the truth or otherwise of this assertion but if it is true it
>worries me that there is such keenness to put children on pumps, at early
>ages (other than within research), because if true it would mean that
>control begins to go wrong at just the wrong time in life (late teens -
>early twenties).

If I understand you correctly, does this mean you think it's preferable
that children start losing their hypo symptoms *earlier*, e.g. in their
early teens? I certainly don't think it's a foregone conclusion that you
would lose your symptoms this early anyway, and even if you did, if it means
improved BG control for these 15+ years, then I think it has got to be
worth it.
I think the longer one can preserve one's hypo warning symptoms, the
better, regardless of age (with the possibility of some exceptions in very
special cases).  I am presuming you mean that it is the effect of the pump
on *control* (ie the improved control and/or the ability to maintain steady
BGs at a lower level) that increases the length of time before one loses
one's hypo symptoms, rather than anything more intrinsic about the pump