Re: [IPk] the pump is definitely helping my hypo awareness

----- Original Message -----
From: John Neale <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [IPk] the pump is definitely helping my hypo awareness

> >Does anyone manage to acheive "good control" ie readings usually around 4
> >to 8 and rarely above 10 ,with less than 2 or three mild hypos in a week?
> >wish I knew how to. Or am I being a bit unrealistic?
>
> Oh dear - confessions. Abigail, if I consistently achieved the results you
> describe, I would be very smug and contented. In other words, I don't
> usually get results that good, but I do occasionally. So I know it is
> achievable, but I don't beat myself up if I don't achieve it. Instead, I
> look at what I've done, and try and work out if I can improve it in some
> way. Sort of on-going self-training. Like much of life I suppose :-)
>
> My weaknesses are that I don't carb count accurately enough. I don't have
> my basal rates finely tuned. I lead an erratic irregular life. I love my
> food and drink.
>
> My body's weaknesses are that its basal rate requirement change quite a
lot
> - often unpredictably. Different foods get digested at substatially
> different rates. My infusion sites sometimes misbehave.
>
> I like to be 5 or 6 when I eat, and any bg's over 12 normally have an
> explanation. I might have a mild hypo (between 3.5 and 4.0) at some point
> every day. I test my bg 5 or 6 times a day.
>
> But all in all, I have a low HbA1c, I no longer have bad hypos, I have
> considerable freedom over what I eat and my diabetes does not intrude on
my
> life too much. So perhaps I am achieving a reasonable target. But I will
> keep my eye on the target you have set out!
>
> John
>
> --
> mailto:email @ redacted
> http://www.webshowcase.net/johnneale

> sorry John. I  am not managing this standard of control either although I
would like to. I must say I,m a lot closer than I was 2 or 3 months ago
(prepump). I,ve been taking "balance" too seriously when it was stated that
you should run a little higher if hypo warnings are disappearing but still
seemed to imply that the above mentioned figures were a sensible target. (On
conventional insulin therapy ? I don't think so)