(Fwd) Re: [IPk] the pump is definitely helping my hypo awarene

From:          Diana Maynard <email @ redacted>

>Well, that final, accidentally too large, dose of insulin was the third
>dealing-with-chips dose.  My BGs ran over 11 for about three hours -
>despite starting out with 5 units in the first place, and a (slowish) 45
>minute walk on the strand.  I think chips spike my numbers very quickly,
>and then the fat keeps the BGs up there for a long time.  And it's always
>messy for me to go to sleep when I'm not 100% sure what's happening.  I
>almost always have some sort of problem when I do so, although it's usually
>high BGs in the morning - which I much prefer to hypos in the night.
>
>Once again, I left out lots of detail because I don't want to bore people,
>but I probably just created confusion instead!
>
>elizabeth

Ah, that makes much more sense!
I tend to avoid chips and bought pizza because they seem to be too
unpredictable. I could spend a lot of time figuring out how to deal
with it, but to be honest, I'm not bothered enough about eating them
to bother.

I've just had a spell for 2 weeks where my nightime BGs were really
high - I would go to bed with a BG of 5 and wake up at 3am with a BG
of 12, take 2 units of Humalog, and then wake up at 7am with a BG
still of 12. I kept increasing my nightime basal, and nothign seemed
to work. And then suddenly yesterday my BG was down to 6 at 3am and at
7am. Then last night it was 4.5 at 3am, and then 2.1 at 4am! Actually
I'm really glad, because I htink whatever strange thing was happening
in the night has stopped now, and I can go back to my usual nighttime
basal. I didn't like taking that much insulin during the night for no
apparent reason. Di