Re: [IPk] new pumper

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000, you wrote:
>>After an initial insulin reduction  when I started on a pump last week, I
 am now back to my pre-pump dose - is this usual?  The first few days were
pretty good, but I'm having problems with my control now - am I being too
impatient?  Thanks in advance, >

Hi Sally
Exactly the same thing happened to me when I started on the pump.
There are a number of factors to consider.
Firstly, you may well have had some long-acting insulin still floating
around your body last week. It took about a week for it to be cleared out
of my system completely.
Secondly, as Elizabeth said, you may need to consider taking more or less
insulin at certain times of the month. My control always goes haywire (and
I need more insulin) just before my period.
Thirdly, give it a chance. it is a big change from injections to pumping,
and it will take time to adapt. your basal needs may change a lot over the
first few weeks as things begin to settle down.
Hang in there and keep testing, but don't worry too much!
Some people have a large reduction in their insulin doses after going on
the pump, some don't. It just depends on your body! My insulin intake can
vary from 30 to 45 units a day, and it doesn't seem to be dependent on any
one variable, but a combination of factors which I can't always pinpoint