Re: [IPk] re :inhaled insulin

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>Indeed, and what would I do about my nine bar snack, which requires 1.4
>units of insulin, or the apple I just had, which requires .8 units of
Oh, Elizabeth, didn't your doctor tell you - you aren't supposed to eat
unplanned, unpredictable apples!  You are supposed to eat a planned,
regulated diet which will perfectly match the curves of the insulin
And 1.4 for a 'nine bar snack' - that sounds rather like a small bar of
chocolate to me (or maybe it is pretzels) whichever - they are high in
fat or salt, and therefore NOT TO BE PART OF THE DIET!

On a serious note: with a 3 unit dose increment, it does seem as this is
a tool for the non-complient.  I worry slightly that this will be
foisted on type 2s, who will be assumed 'not to be able to cope with
injections'.  Without asking (because, as everyone knows, patients are
stupid.  And type 2s are old and stupid.)  As John says, it's a useful
additional tool, which will be a boon to some people.

One thing which hasn't been mentioned is the speed of absorption: if
it's quicker than Humalog, I may want to use it for all boluses, and the
pump for basals - and many diabetics using pumps may want to keep an
inhaler handy to bring down highs.

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)