[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V1 #75

>  I think we need to
> be careful about recommending them to everyone - there are disadvantages,
> the most important probably being that the pumper needs to understand more
> about the disease.
When Eleanor went on the pump ( we both went) she had 4 days of classroom
training, given by a german DSN who is diabetic herself (the  world famous
Ulrike!) The fact that the trainer was herself diabetic helped enormously
and we all came out feeling as though we had some sort of handle on the
condition that we had not had before. There is no way that DSNs would allow
someone without the necessary 'attributes' to go on the pump, ie; accepting
the need for frequent testing, motivation etc. The pump is NOT suitable for
everyone, but there are plenty of people out there who ARE and we should be
able to give them the choice.