[IPk] Diabetes NVQ

>that sounds great, John. Similar to what you were talking about a few
>months ago.

Surprise surprise!

>The problem, of course, is finding people sufficiently
>qualified to teach them! How many of the medical professionals that
>you know would you consider to be capable of teaching such a class?
>Not just giving out the bog-standard information that everyone gets to
>hear, but the real stuff.

Because it wouldn't be individual patient training, but straight class
teaching, you don't need qualified health professionals. You just need
teachers. Biology teachers, college lecturers. That sort of thing.

For example, take a look at
http://www.ocr.org.uk/schemes/gcse/misc/1815/1815s.htm. That's the syllabus
for the GCSE in Health Studies. Now rewrite it, aiming it specifically at
Type 1 diabetes. Combine it with the misc.health.diabetes faq, and you have
the beginnings of an interesting syllabus.

You design a syllabus, have it accepted by the relevent board, write a
course book, recruit the teachers - they're just in it for the money - and
have the BDA and clinics promote the courses. The syllabus isn't written by
doctors alone. We design it as well. It's very practical. But above all the
syllabus is not beholden to any one clinic's or national strategy. If two
clinics do something in two different ways, you teach that it can be done
in two different ways, for the following reasons...

It's not an easy task, of course. And there is much work and planning to be
done - and is being done at the moment. But I believe formalised teaching
is one important strand in patient empowerment.

mailto:email @ redacted