[IPk] Dave's missing post

Hmmm... curious. It appeared on Digest V1#70, but not as a normal email.
Well, Dave's missing inaugural post follows:

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:55:58 +0100
From: "Dave Roberts" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IPk] Balance Article

Hello all!
It seems I've been receiving this list for ages and haven't added
anything - sorry about that, been a hectic few weeks. I guess that's
what happens when you're a "weird American!" and a Ph.D. student who
actually does try to get some work done between naps.

I was really pleased to see the article in Balance but agree that the
negative points are more than a bit absurd. I am curious about the
number of blood sugars - is four really considered that many by
diabetics here? When meters first came out and I first got mine, I was
told to do one before and after every mean, when I wakeup, when I go to
sleep and occasionally at 2 AM. That seems to be standard in the US. The
chemical pathologist's point about 1 or 2 basals shows typical ignorance
about both computers and diabetes - the amount of memory required for 24
basals isn't what makes pumps expensive, the number of safety features
accounts for a lot of the cost. I'm not sure I would trust my diabetes
to a cheap pump that I bought for 50 at Boots. As far as the cost to
the NHS goes, as my wife put it "Are they stupid or what." Better
control means better health for a longer period of time which saves the
NHS considerable money. Penny wise but pound foolish.

Well, I've rambled enough for one day. Just one more quick note -
someone e-mailed me about a pumper in Edinburgh who felt they were alone
there. Unfortunately, as my 'puter crashed severely a few days ago, I've
lost all of my old e-mails and contacts. Could you please send it to me
again? I would really appreciate it. And I promise to write a bit more
from now on.

Dave Roberts

mailto:email @ redacted