[IPk] set changes

I know the recommendation is to change the set before a bolus, but do
people find it's necessary? Other than when a set NNEDS to be changed
instantly, of course.
I was just changing it whenever, and just priming the needle with 0/8 units
(and reconnecting to the existing tubing) and I didn't seem to have
any problems.
But the last few times my BG has shot up afterwards, and then settled
down after about 4 hours.
I always test a couple of hours afterwards to make sure everything's
OK, so I don't usually change it last thing at night.
As I said, I know the recommendation is to change before a meal, but
does everyone actually do this?
Also sometimes I only take 1 or 2 units with a meal (I hardly ever
take more than 3). I have a feeling that this may not always be
enough when I've put a new set in, if you see what I mean.