Re: [IPk] diabetes question, not pump related

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: Christine Bousfield <email @ redacted>
Date: 30/01/2014  16:11  (GMT+00:00)
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] diabetes question, not pump related

Why is there such ignorance about type 1?
It really is shocking
I had a bad Tia a couple of weeks ago and stayed on the pump
There was no one around who knew anything at all about type 1 let alone insulin
pumps for at least 8 hours and the only briefly
My son daughter and husband were very worried
I am about to make a plan in case it happens again
Any experience out there?
Christine
.ps stroke treatment excellent!

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Jan 2014, at 15:13, Diana Maynard <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Hi Clare
> I'm afraid it's pretty normal (in some hospitals, though not all). At least
she's on MDI and testing though (many people are still put on twice daily
pre-mixed insulin when first diagnosed!). A lot of hospitals do work on the
basis of keeping things simple at first, especially with children, though some
 are more enlightened. It sounds as if she is at least coming to you for help,
so
personally I would just explain some basic principles to her (such as WHY she
 needs to eat carbs before PE, and therefore why if her BG is high, she
doesn't).
Obviously you don't want to contradict her medical team, or stand on anyone's
toes, but I would certainly explain some simple things to her if she comes to
you.