Re: [IPk] diabetes question, not pump related

Depends a lot on the hospital. Back in the 70s and early 80s, carb
counting was the first thing you were taught. Then they gave up and
taught people to "eat healthily" and/or "eat the same thing at the same
time of day" and/or "eat plenty of starchy carbs at every meal". Now
with DAFNE etc and MDI/pumping, they're returning to the carb counting,
but not all hospitals teach it from the start.

Even Diabetes UK give some frankly ridiculous advice about food at
times, although they do at least now say "but everyone is different".
Shame as they used to give very sensible advice in the 70s!

Di

On 30/01/14 16:49, Belinda Washington wrote:
 > Carb counting isn't taught initially. Most people who do DAFNE do it several
> years post diagnosis.
>
>   A safe - recognise Highs & Lows, inject, test, eat sensibly, how to treat
> hypos... Is the beginning.
>

>   > On 30 Jan 2014, at 16:44, "Hayward, Clare (SUT)" <email @ redacted>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it is scary Christine
>>
>   > I'm amazed at the doctor first of all in my example who didn't just do a
> finger
>> prick test to RULE diabetes out
>> With those 3 major symptoms, she could have been on her way to hospital
>   > earlier, instead she was left to go home until she was admitted as an
> emergency
>> and hooked up to drip and very poorly (so I've been told)
>>
>> OK docs don't know everything but..... with those 3 things and of course she
>> was desperately tired and ill andhad lost loads of weight!
>>
>   > And yeah, just seems so hit and miss as to what care you get, what
> information!
>> How can they not give you an ALFFI/DAFNE booklet or something?
>> Isn't one of the (many, I know) first things explained that from now on you
>   > need to count carbs in everything - they do that in bl**dy diet classes!
> You're
 >> told what to count and given a booklet containing all the amounts! Off you
go
>> and start counting or else you don't lose weight.

Behalf
> [...]
>> Subject: Re: [IPk] diabetes question, not pump related
>>
>> Why is there such ignorance about type 1?
>> It really is shocking
 >> I had a bad Tia a couple of weeks ago and stayed on the pump There was no
one
>> around who knew anything at all about type 1 let alone insulin pumps for at
>   > least 8 hours and the only briefly My son daughter and husband were very
> worried
>> I am about to make a plan in case it happens again Any experience out there?
>> Christine
>> .ps stroke treatment excellent!
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 30 Jan 2014, at 15:13, Diana Maynard <email @ redacted> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Clare
>>> I'm afraid it's pretty normal (in some hospitals, though not all). At least
>> she's on MDI and testing though (many people are still put on twice daily
>> pre-mixed insulin when first diagnosed!). A lot of hospitals do work on the
>   > basis of keeping things simple at first, especially with children, though
> some
 > > are more enlightened. It sounds as if she is at least coming to you for
help,
> so
 >> personally I would just explain some basic principles to her (such as WHY
she
>   > needs to eat carbs before PE, and therefore why if her BG is high, she
> doesn't).
 >> Obviously you don't want to contradict her medical team, or stand on
anyone's
 >> toes, but I would certainly explain some simple things to her if she comes
>> you.
>>> Di

>>> situation:
>>> on
>>> test

>> her
>> any

>>> they
>> got
>>> explained
>>> can't
>>> but
>>> .
>> ________________________________
>>
>> Important Notice
>>

>> This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
>> addressee.
 >> If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure copying or
distribution
>> is
>> prohibited and may be unlawful.You should notify the sender immediately
>> and delete this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.
>>
>> Please note that any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely
>> those of the author and may not represent those of the Company or School.
>   > No liability is accepted by The Girls' Day School Trust for any loss or
> damage
>> incurred through use of this e-mail.
>>
 >> The Girls' Day School Trust. A limited company Registered in England No.
6400