 From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
Diana Maynard
Sent: 30 January 2014 15:13
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] diabetes question, not pump related

Hi Clare
 I'm afraid it's pretty normal (in some hospitals, though not all). At least
she's on MDI and testing though (many people are still put on twice daily
pre-mixed insulin when first diagnosed!). A lot of hospitals do work on the
basis of keeping things simple at first, especially with children, though some
are more enlightened. It sounds as if she is at least coming to you for help, so
personally I would just explain some basic principles to her (such as WHY she
needs to eat carbs before PE, and therefore why if her BG is high, she doesn't).
Obviously you don't want to contradict her medical team, or stand on anyone's
toes, but I would certainly explain some simple things to her if she comes to
you.
Di

On 30/01/14 14:07, Hayward, Clare (SUT) wrote:
> Hi all
>
>   Hope you don't mind me posting something here that's not pump
> related but
 > diabetes related as I wanted to get your thoughts/advice/take on this
situation:

  > A young girl at school (14 years) was diagnosed 2 weekends ago, in hospital
on
> a drip, quite poorly I believe (get this - doctor knew she'd lost a
> lot of weight, she was going to the toilet a lot, drinking a lot) - he
> didn't do a
  > finger prick test!! They waited over a week to go to surgery to get a blood
test
> done!!
>
> Anyhow, moving on - she's back in school this week
>
  > She's been put on 4 injections of 4 units per day, assume they're sorting
her
> out
>
 > At school today running a bg of 17 after breakfast but hospital won't do any
> changes (yet). She also hasn't been told about exercise, carb counting
> or anything like that
>
> She had double pe today.
>   She's been advised to snack BEFORE PE but if she's at 17, a) she'll
> go even higher and b) not really safe to exercise being that high but
> nobody seems to have told her
>
> Is this normal way of teaching about diabetes when you first get it?
  > Are they just doing one thing at a time and getting her used to it before
they
> start mucking around with doses, how could you not be carb counting to
> even vaguely match insulin?
>
  > Am I missing something? Ijust feel that I had such good care when I first
got > it and it seemed although I was only 12, a great deal of things were
explained > and gone over. I know I spent over 2 weeks in hospital and nowadays
they can't
> afford that but ..... am I hopelessly outdated?
>
  > I know I don't know all the facts and what she's been promised she'll learn
but
________________________________

Important Notice

 This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
addressee.
 If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure copying or distribution
is
prohibited and may be unlawful.You should notify the sender immediately
and delete this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.

Please note that any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely
those of the author and may not represent those of the Company or School.
No liability is accepted by The Girls' Day School Trust for any loss or damage
incurred through use of this e-mail.

The Girls' Day School Trust. A limited company Registered in England No. 6400
 Registered Charity No. 306983. Registered Office: 100 Rochester Row, London
SW1P 1JP