Re: [IPk] diabetes question, not pump related

Hi Clare
I'm afraid it's pretty normal (in some hospitals, though not all). At
least she's on MDI and testing though (many people are still put on
twice daily pre-mixed insulin when first diagnosed!). A lot of hospitals
do work on the basis of keeping things simple at first, especially with
children, though some are more enlightened. It sounds as if she is at
least coming to you for help, so personally I would just explain some
basic principles to her (such as WHY she needs to eat carbs before PE,
and therefore why if her BG is high, she doesn't). Obviously you don't
want to contradict her medical team, or stand on anyone's toes, but I
would certainly explain some simple things to her if she comes to you.
Di