[IPk] diabetes question, not pump related

Hi all

 Hope you don't mind me posting something here that's not pump related but
diabetes related as I wanted to get your thoughts/advice/take on this situation:

 A young girl at school (14 years) was diagnosed 2 weekends ago, in hospital on
a drip, quite poorly I believe (get this - doctor knew she'd lost a lot of
weight, she was going to the toilet a lot, drinking a lot) - he didn't do a
finger prick test!! They waited over a week to go to surgery to get a blood test
done!!

Anyhow, moving on - she's back in school this week

 She's been put on 4 injections of 4 units per day, assume they're sorting her
out

 At school today running a bg of 17 after breakfast but hospital won't do any
changes (yet). She also hasn't been told about exercise, carb counting or
anything like that

She had double pe today.
 She's been advised to snack BEFORE PE but if she's at 17, a) she'll go even
higher and b) not really safe to exercise being that high but nobody seems to
have told her

Is this normal way of teaching about diabetes when you first get it?
 Are they just doing one thing at a time and getting her used to it before they
start mucking around with doses, how could you not be carb counting to even
vaguely match insulin?

 Am I missing something? Ijust feel that I had such good care when I first got
it and it seemed although I was only 12, a great deal of things were explained
and gone over. I know I spent over 2 weeks in hospital and nowadays they can't
afford that but ..... am I hopelessly outdated?

 I know I don't know all the facts and what she's been promised she'll learn but

________________________________

Important Notice

 This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
addressee.
 If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure copying or distribution
is
prohibited and may be unlawful.You should notify the sender immediately
and delete this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.

Please note that any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely
those of the author and may not represent those of the Company or School.
No liability is accepted by The Girls' Day School Trust for any loss or damage
incurred through use of this e-mail.

The Girls' Day School Trust. A limited company Registered in England No. 6400
 Registered Charity No. 306983. Registered Office: 100 Rochester Row, London
SW1P 1JP