Re: [IPk] Excercise causing high BG level

 I am fascinated. I don't think I could eat 60g of carb without insulin and 1
hour later not have risen so little. I'd be massively high within an hour. Do
you absorb food very slowly or am I weird?

Helene
Dx Aug 1983
Pumping with my lovely Accu Chek Combo since 17/12/2013 :-)

Sent from Helene's iPad

> On 22 Jan 2014, at 16:33, "Diana Maynard" <email @ redacted> wrote:
>
> Hi Suzanne
 > When you say you dropped your bolus to 90%, do you mean you decreased it by
10%? Just checking that's what you meant, not that you dropped it by 90%. It
doesn't seem much of a reduction, that's all. Did you touch the basal rate at
all?

 > Either way, what you may find is that once the exercise has finished, you
still have carbs left in your body from your meal that aren't covered by the
insulin, given that you reduced it.

 > Here's a more extreme example. On Wednesdays I do a spin class at 2pm. I eat
lunch at 1pm (60g carbs) and don't bolus AT ALL for it. My BG is usually around
7-8 immediately before the class at 2pm, and around 5 at 2.45pm when I finish.
Sounds perfect. But I actually still need some of that missing insulin to cover
the carbs for lunch, which continue to have an effect on my body for the next
few hours (since the action of the carbs is several hours, not just 2 hours). So
I have to then bolus 1-2 units when I finish the class, to cover that missing
insulin I didn't take with my lunch.

 > It might be the same thing happening to you. The mistake people usually make
with exercise is to not reduce their insulin early enough, and/or to end the
reduction of basal rate too late (after you've finished the class is already too
late - usually putting the basal back to normal at least 30 minutes before the
end of the class is better).

 > Alternatively, you might just be one of those people for whom some types of
exercise raises your BG. You could try next time not reducing your meal bolus
and see what happens (you may find that because Pilates isn't very energetic,
you don't actually need to reduce your insulin - this is what I find
personally).

 > If you do find you need to reduce your insulin pre-Pilates, as you did, my
suggestion is to take a small amount of insulin immediately after you finish the
class. I find it better to do this as a square wave over 30 minutes or so, for
the simple reason that if you find you don't need it after all and start going
low, you can at least cancel the rest of it.

 > There's no correct answer, it's just about finding what works for you, so
it'll take a bit of experimentation. It's taken me a long time to figure all the
different food and insulin requirements for the various different sports and
exercise I do, and it's different at different times of day.