Re: [IPk] Omnipod self fund

Dear Lauren,

I don't think anyone is being "snippy".  There is probably a
frustration that anyone would have to self-fund an insulin pump.  It is entirely
plausible that someone would just choose to spend thousands of pounds a year on
a piece of medical equipment, in this financial climate, but I am concerned
that through lack of advice or lack of awareness, someone is not getting the
funding they need from the NHS.

I am furious that people are having to jump through dangerous hoops
to maintain their pump funding.

Please do not confuse frustration or irritation at the situations
described with hostility towards people in those situations.

With best wishes

Belinda

> On 20 Jan 2014, at 14:26, Lauren Mcivor <email @ redacted> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> For a few months now I have regularly been receiving these emails and never
> felt the need to respond but this is too much now- the point of this group is
> surely for support and all that I'm seeing of late is snippy remarks - it's not
> very nice to read and if directly involved must be awful- please stop this and
> start supporting each other. Disappointed in the group.
> Lauren x
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 20 Jan 2014, at 13:55, Diana Maynard <email @ redacted>
wrote:

>> Sorry, yes I meant to say "no one with clinical need". Although of
course,
> some people may prefer to self-fund rather than jump through all the hoops, if
> they're struggling to get funded. But yes, my point was exactly that someone
> might want to self-fund to get the specific pump if their clinic don't offer
> Omnipod. But they might also be able to come to some arrangement with their
> hospital in this case (it's not unheard of to be offered pump but not
> consumables, or vice versa).
>> Di
>>
>>> On 20/01/14 12:05, Melissa Ford wrote:
>>> Hi Diana
>>>
>>> Just a quick point: occasionally INPUT does hear of people who
are
>>> self-funding because they don't meet the NICE criteria and they
just prefer
>>> a pump.
>>>
>>> With my INPUT hat on, I would say no one who meets the NICE
criteria should
>>> be self-funding to access pump therapy.
>>>
>>> However, if someone's story is 'I meet the criteria and I have
been offered
>>> a pump with tubing but I wany OmniPod and my CCG won't pay for
OmniPod,'