Re: [IPk] Pump Funding

Dear Suzanne

Re the higher target: remeber the NICE criteria for pump funding!
"Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII or insulin pump) therapy
is recommended as a treatment option for adults and children 12 years and
older with type 1 diabetes mellitus provided that:

   - attempts to achieve target haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels with
   multiple daily injections (MDIs) result in the person experiencing
   disabling hypoglycaemia. For the purpose of this guidance, disabling
   hypoglycaemia is defined as the repeated and unpredictable occurrence of
   hypoglycaemia that results in persistent anxiety about recurrence and is
   associated with a significant adverse effect on quality of life

*or*

   - HbA1c levels have remained high (that is, at 8.5% or above) on MDI
   therapy (including, if appropriate, the use of long-acting insulin
   analogues) despite a high level of care."

If you need a higher target number because of hypos, you probably meet the
hypoglycaemia criterion right now.

All best

Melissa