From: Ingrid Glass <email @ redacted>
Date: 15/01/2014  22:52  (GMT+00:00)
To: insulinpumpers forum <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re [IPk] Retest results

Hi John, a couple of months' ago I was out with my natural history group,
always an unknown quantity regarding how active/sedentary the day will be and
how much energy I'll have to participate & for how long, and following the
usual pre-emptive big basal reduction + extra carbs for brekkies, horror of
horrors it was an extremely sedentary morning. I tested 1/2 hour before lunch
and I was 19.8. I thought I'd better retest before shoving a large correction
dose in, and it was 15.2! As a result of this, I went through a period of
regular double testing to see how often the discrepancy was outside of the 20%
'allowable' range, and discovered far too frequently it was significantly off
(> 20%) when outside of normal readings (say 4 - 8mmol/L). I started to really
distrust my meter!! I have & use 3 of them - One Touch UltraEasy - so it
wasn't a one-off dud meter. But when I asked my DSN recently, she actually
assured me that this is one of the most accurate & reliable meters, they use
it for 'all our pregnant ladies'. I've gone back to single testing and a bit
of forced artificial confidence (!) after DSN chat, but any highs now & I
double test.

Ingrid