Re: [IPk] low carbs/no carbs

When I was diagnosed, I felt like I did an A-level in T1 in a day.
That was after I'd recognised my symptoms, booked a convenient appointment &
taken the urine sample in.

Then I got the pump & it was like being diagnosed all over again
because of the amount of things I had to learn.

With the number of pumpers being comparatively low & as we're the
only people who can reduce nocturnal basals after low-carb days / dinners, the
amount of practise clinicians get in teaching that is low.

The reactive approach to hypo management is "cut your basal", if you
then eat more carbs, you have a problem.

The level of education amongst members of this group is higher than
average.  I often wonder whether that is because insulin pumps are allocated
based on the patient's ability to argue their case, rather than just
clinical need.  If general academic prowess is an indicator of ability to learn, we
have that.

There is also the less understood effect of "OMG, if I don't learn
this, I die!!!", which seems to enhance people's learning capacity, unless
they are severely depressed.

The more clinicians try to teach, the better they get at it.

Belinda