Re: Basal rates (was Re: [IPk] low carbs/no carbs)

As others have pointed out, this is one of the areas where there can
be large difference between theory and practice.

For example both Di and I have written in the last 24 hours saying
that we need somewhat lower basals overnight after a day of eating low
carbs than a day of eating moderate carbs. And this may be part of
what accounts for what Joel reports from the Cambridge Artificial
Pancreas project - that most people do not have identical insulin
requirements every night - even though they are not eating anything
whatsoever during the night.

If I don't eat all day (and sometimes I too don't) then I need to
raise my basal for 2-3 hours in the morning (because it is
artificially low then to allow for the superbolus for normal days when
I eat breakfast) and then carry on as normal till early afternoon at
which point I have to lower the basal until I eat to avoid going hypo.

Furthermore the division between basal and bolus is not holy - it's a
useful concept (with a biological basis of course) to help one set up
a reasonable first approximation to a scheme of insulin delivery - but
one must remember that the cells of your body do not know whether
molecules of insulin they are using were injected as bolus or basal -
so it is not evil or being a 'bad diabetic' to have basal rates that
do not keep you in range but you keep in range at least at certain
times of the day, except by also using a too high carb ratio, if that
is what works for you - this is indeed exactly the principle of the
superbolus, recommended by John Walsh and others. It is the only way I
can have reasonable BG's within 1-2 hours after breakfast 90% of the
time instead of 0% of the time.

What all this emphasizes is that there are standard solutions - they
work for some of the people some of the time - if you are one of those
people for whom they work most of the time, that's great, but for the
rest of us, the challenge is to find solutions, often original
solutions not in the book nor in the diabetes course, nor in the
repertoire of the average DSN, that give you better BG's around the
clock. And personally I've received better advice and ideas over the
years from this list than from any book or DSN etc.

Nanette