Re: Basal rates (was Re: [IPk] low carbs/no carbs)

 If i didn't eat all day (sometimes I don't ) I would stay between say 4 and 9,
notwithstanding any other events eg unexpected exercise or illness. So certainly
not perfect control but good enough for the odd time this happens.

 Incidentally if your basal rates won't keep you in range then you won't stay in
range even if you do eat, without correction, unless your basal rates are too
low and your carb ratios too high in compensation ( if this was the case then
you would see a hypo after a particularly carb high meal)

> without food all day if you wanted to!
>
> I know this is the theory, but it would be interesting to know how many of us
 > can actually achieve this in reality.? Even using CGM to fine-tune my basals,
my
> levels will still drift around even overnight when I have no IOB and have not
> eaten for several hours. If I skip lunch and go all day without food, chances
 > are I will have to make a small correction or eat a few carbs otherwise my
CGM
> readings will drift out of target range.
>
 > At the Diabetes Technology meeting in Manchester in November, somebody from
the
> Hovorka group in Cambridge presented data from their Artificial Pancreas
> project. Subjects had their overnight basals managed via a closed-loop system
 > using a CGM readout to control basal insulin delivery using a pump controlled
by
> a laptop computer. Subjects achieved an amazing overnight stability in blood
 > glucose levels, pretty much non-D levels! There were two interesting points
of
 > note: 1. How many small changes in basal levels the pump was having to make.
2: