Re: [IPk] low carbs/no carbs

 But a lot of those carbs *may* be inaccessible. E.g raw carrots we don't access
a lot of the carbs as our gut does not break down the cell walls to release
them. Cooking on the other hand breaks the cell walls down and hey presto the
carbs can be utilised and boy do I know it in the effects on my bg levels. I
could go on and on. Also fibre g content of food needs to be subtracted from
total gram carb. But again it depends on whether the fibre can be accessed and
therefore utilised as to the actual g fibre effect you subtract.

If only it were as simple as a maths sum.

 To add to the confusion the biochemistry of lean and obese people differs. A
friend of mine is currently writing a book on biochem for fat people! I'm
looking forward to reading it.

 Also as many of us have found, our bodies do not act in the way medical
textbooks describe. If only they would read and follow the theories expounded
there then perhaps many of the problems encountered in managing this darn
disease with medics 'help' would disappear!

 Any research in the area of food nutrition is complex but fascinating. Throw in
biochem never mind immune system factors, never mind the complications of dm for
som eg gastroparesis and you can see what a "soup mix" you have there.

 To go back to the original comment that Gary S thinks we need 100g of carb to
feed our brains, he shows little understanding of the whole way of reduced or
low carb eating. Carbs simple and complex are absorbed at different rates and
amounts and do the usual quick or medium slowness energy provision.

 Yes, protein converts can convert to carbs but the proportion of protein carb
which can convert to carb is much lower than for simple or complex carb. It also
takes much longer to do, hence protein for reduced/low carb eaters protein acts
as a medium acting fuel for the brain.

 Fat too converts to carbs, but again at a much slower rate due to how we absorb
and utilise it but again the fat conversion to carb ratio is lowest of all. This
acts as a very long accessing and acting source of carbs. Remember the "pizza
effect" when the carb peak tends to hit proportionately several hours later
depending on the fat content of the pizza.

I could go on and on and it's already too much.

Rhoda (former low carb list owner hosted by a US university)

P.S. Steve, if you're reading this, hope you enjoyed the snow!

R Martin