Re: [IPk] low carbs/no carbs

Hi Clare,

I would concur with everything everyone else has written about it
being fine to go without carbs, with a couple of provisos - firstly as
Di wrote, you will have to discover by trial and error if you need
insulin to cover protein in an omelette or to cover the minimal carbs
there may be in a salad (depending on ingredients) - Di wrote that she
doesn't, but I do need a small bolus  - so never take these things for
granted. The other thing is that you might find that when eating very
low or no carbs over a period of days, or even a period of several
hours, you need to put down your basal rate. Again, this is something
that I do, and have ongoing debates with myself about whether this
means that my basal is actually covering a little bit of carb input
when I am eating normally - but actually facts and experience do not
support this in my case. And I don't think this is something they
mention in diabetes school (not that I ever went to such a thing).

Best of luck with it all
Nanette

On 14 January 2014 16:27, DIana Maynard <email @ redacted> wrote:
> hi Clare
>  You can go as low carb as you want on a pump! just bolus whatever you need,
 > which might be nothing at all (eg I don't need any insulin to cover protein
in
 > an omelette, but some people might). You can do it for as many consecutive
meals
> as you want. And if you don't want to eat anything at all for a meal, that's
> fine too! almost like being a normal person :-)
> Di
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>  > On 14 Jan 2014, at 14:18, "Hayward, Clare (SUT)" <email @ redacted>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> I'm sorry if this is repetition of earlier query (I've got a recollection of
>  > this subject has been mentioned before and I know some of you out there
> advocate
 > > or are on low carb diets and also I'm a little bit ashamed to ask it,
because
>> think I should know:
>>
>> What if you didn't have carbs with a meal? Or several meals?
>>
 > > I've forgotten now why we are all supposed to be eating carbs at every
meal.
>  > was dx 1984 and I was told 3 meals plus snacks in between and before bed
> every
 >> day (I was in that regime/era) and I know things moved on with MDIs where
you
 >> can vary carb amounts instead of eating set carbs for each meal with your
set
>> pre doses, but now on the pump, what if I wanted to go no or really minimal
 >> carbs for 1 or more meals? Not as a dietary change but say having an
omelette
>> and salad - no need for carbs, just as an example
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Clare Hayward
>> T1 33 years
>> Pumping Medtronic Veo 11 months
>> Last HBa1C 54
>> ________________________________
>>
>> Important Notice
>>

>> This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
>> addressee.
 >> If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure copying or
distribution
>> is
>> prohibited and may be unlawful.You should notify the sender immediately
>> and delete this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.
>>
>> Please note that any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely
>> those of the author and may not represent those of the Company or School.
>  > No liability is accepted by The Girls' Day School Trust for any loss or
> damage
>> incurred through use of this e-mail.
>>
 >> The Girls' Day School Trust. A limited company Registered in England No.
6400