 From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
DIana Maynard
Sent: 14 January 2014 15:49
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] low carbs/no carbs

  I think the key when you start worrying about these kind of things is to go
back to the basics. what does a pump do in terms of basal and bolus? Remember
that if you have it set right, a bolus is only covering (normally) carbs you eat
or is used to bring down a high BG. The speed and timing of the bolus is altered
to deal with different absorption speeds of the carbs you eat. Basals cover your
non-food-related insulin needs. If your insulin needs change, it means your
insulin sensitivity has temporarily or permanently changed, so this may affect
both basal and bolus (eg if you're ill, or exercising, or whatever). Don't get
caught up too much in rules you may have been taught (which are often either
plain wrong, or inappropriate for pumping) and go back to the logic of what
insulin does.

Two more things to remember:
1. no question is stupid, so if it's bugging you, ask away!
  2. Don't be afraid to experiment (within reason). What happens if you eat an
omelette and take no insulin? Try it and see what happens!
Di

Sent from my iPad

 > On 14 Jan 2014, at 14:56, "Hayward, Clare (SUT)" <email @ redacted>
wrote:

> Thanks Di, Cathy and Carol for your helpful comments
  > Maybe I need to go back to Pump (Diabetic) School! I wasn't paying attention
in
> pump bolus (or not) class was I?
>
> OK, I'll try again with pump
________________________________

Important Notice

 This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
addressee.
 If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure copying or distribution
is
prohibited and may be unlawful.You should notify the sender immediately
and delete this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.

Please note that any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely
those of the author and may not represent those of the Company or School.
No liability is accepted by The Girls' Day School Trust for any loss or damage
incurred through use of this e-mail.

The Girls' Day School Trust. A limited company Registered in England No. 6400
 Registered Charity No. 306983. Registered Office: 100 Rochester Row, London
SW1P 1JP