Re: [IPk] Pump upgrade - what are the options?

Hi Joel

I think it may be some time (at least a year rather than a matter of
months) before the 640G is launched. All the MM pumps since the 511 have
had a first digit of 5 or 7 to indicate reservoir size. It is significant
that the 640G has a 6 rather than a 5 or 7 prefix: 640G will offer not only
suspension of insulin delivery when hypo (as the Veo currently does outside
the US and the 530G will do in the US) but also an automated *increase* in
insulin delivery based on high glucose levels. Using CGM to allow a pump to
deliver more insulin rather than less is a big step towards closing the
loop and it carries different potential risks as well as potential benefits.

In the UK, Peter Hindmarsh (UCL paeds diabetes consultant) and Pratik
Choudhary (King's College Hospital adults diabetes consultant) will be
involved in a clinical trial of it - see
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01991548

I should be able to get an idea of when Medtronic expects to submit the
640G for European regulatory review at the ATTD meeting in Vienna in a few
weeks (5-8 Feb). If anyone wants to see what's on the agenda there, the
website for the conference is http://www2.kenes.com/attd/pages/home.aspx

All best

Melissa