Re: [IPk] testing basals, Rapids and high bg

In message <001301c506fe$bf386090$email @ redacted>, Donna C
<email @ redacted> writes
>Another thing, I do really struggle when I eat out at getting the doses right,
>but it's not gone this badly wrong before.

It is difficult, particularly as some things I particularly like come
with sauces, so it's impossible to guess what's in them.  Measuring ones
bgs regularly after eating out seems to be the only way to go - and not
beating oneself up about it!

>Yes I guess 10 grams raises me about 3-4 mmol, well depending on time of day
>really cos I don't think my basals are set right yet, hence starting to test
>them this morning.
>
>What is the best way to go about testing them anyway, did I do the right thing
>this morning.  Could the fact that i didn't bolus this morning have caused a
>knock on effect in the afternoon?

There's a great description in _Pumping Insulin_, and on this website.

You need to start in-range, for a start ....

The fact you didn't bolus this morning could have caused you to rise
later _if_ (and it would make you odd, and is worth figuring out if you
are odd) you find that insulin acts very slowly in you.  Do you find if
you have an unusually large meal with large bolus you are hypo 6 or 8
hours down the track?  If you have a small meal, are you high 6 or 8
hours later?

Don't worry if you spend several weeks figuring out your basals, before
fine tuning your boluses.  It does take time.

Best wishes,

Pat
dm 30+, 508 3+
--