Re: [IPk] testing basals, Rapids and high bg

In message <000601c506f1$17579d30$email @ redacted>, Donna C
<email @ redacted> writes
>Need some advice!

>Anyway, went out for lunch and estimated my lunch to be about 60 grams (I go
>on 10g for 1 unit Humalog.)  I bolused 3.5 and then 2.5 over half an hour as
>there was a lot of meat.  Bg before lunch 9.9, 2 and half  hours later
>23.4!!!!

Did it come back down in 2-3 hours after you took the correction bolus?

If not, then blame set failure.

If it did, then there are a few possibilities, e.g. you may have gone
hypo after lunch, because of the protein (?and high fat) slowing down
absorbtion.   You may have mis-estimated the amount of carbohydrate.
How much does 10g usually raise your bg?  If one 10g biscuit raises you
about 5 points (which your overnight testing suggests) then you only
needed to eat 90g rather than 60g to see this result.  That's very easy
to do.

Other causes are coming down with infection, stress, etc etc etc.

Hope you are feeling better now,

Pat
dm 30+, 508 3+

--