Re: [IPk] Length for infusion site

>This is a naive and very silly question I know but here goes.  I
>don't remember asking why we have to change the site every 2-3 days.
>Would it cause problems if left in longer?

Hi June -

A cure for Type 1 diabetes *may* be around the corner, or it may not
be. We do not know. For that reason, we treat our diabetes on the
assumption we're going to be doing this for the rest of our life.
Despite being made of special stuff, the body does reject the
infusion set eventually, as if it's a splinter. Mine starts rejecting
it at least on day 2.

I'll be honest and say my abdomen is now looking a bit of a scarred
mess after 7 years of pumping. Previously, after 15 years of
injections, it was looking fine.

I did once "pressure test" an infusion set (in my first year of
pumping) to see what happened. By day 6 it had become extremely
yucky. I think that's a good way to describe it. Please don't try
this yourself at home :-) If yours lasts longer - that's great news.
But as time wears on, the insulin is often absorbed less predictably
from the wound you have made with the infusion set.

Oh, I did have more fun yesterday. My wife's still away - gets back
tonight. We had a light lunch - ravioli on toast. 4pm I checked my BG
(celebrating the fact I have a working BG meter again!). It was 19
mmol/L. Oo. Errr. Checked infusion site - that looked fine. Checked
pump - how much insulin had I had with my lunch? Answer: nothing!!! I
had completely forgotten to bolus. How do I walk around my entire
life attached to an insulin pumping machine, and forget to bolus for
a meal? Bolused 4 units, and injected 5 units. It came down soon
enough. Any more nonsense like this, and the doctors may withdraw my
right to have diabetes 8-/

John
--
mailto:email @ redacted