[IPk] Failed BG meter and bad set change

Please don't let ANYONE do what I've done. Oh the shame of it. Two
nights ago, just before my evening meal, I went to check my BG, and
my meter failed. It was a mechanical problem. I use a Dex2/Esprit,
and it has a disk inside it with 10 test strips, and when I slid the
slider, it refused to spit out the next strip. A small shard of
plastic had dropped out last week, but the meter carried on working,
so thought nothing of it. Now I was stuck. I have a spare meter
(Lifescan OneTouch) but no stips for it! I had some visual strips
(expiry 1999) - but when I used one, the upper colour said very high
BG, the lower colour said very low BG. So I sailed blind through the
night, and nipped in to my local diabetes clinic the next morning,
where they have cupboards of meters they will hand out on spec (the
companies make their money selling the strips, not the meters btw).
The clinic kindly gave me 2 meters, so I would then have a backup for
next time. They even checked that the meters had batteries inside
them. I got home, set the meter up, and found the batteries were
flat!!! Just then the phone rang - some friends were off taboganning
for the afternoon, and did we want to join them? When were they
going? In about half an hour. That didn't give me time to get some
new batteries. So I went blind all yesterday as well - taboganning in
the foothills of the Alps with my 2 sons. But we had a great time.
This morning I went to my local chemist to get some batteries - they
had none, but they will order some and have them in by 6pm tonight.
So I'll have gone 48hrs with no BG testing. Naughty naughty.

And this morning I had to do a set change. For the first time in 7
years of pumping I did the change, reconnected, bolussed for my
breakfast, and 5 minutes later realised everything was NOT OK. There
was a deep firm swelling building up under the infusion site. I
whipped out the set and quite a lot of blood poured out of the hole.
I guess I had averted a bad infusion site. Put another set in
elsewhere, and everything is fine.

But I don't yet know what my BG is 8-/

John
--