[IPk] Re: pump interferences

Michele,
MRI involves strong magnetic fields - strong magnetic fields would
create havoc with any electronic devices, like a pump, and also with
things containing metal - people with metallic implants of any sort
generally should also not go near an MRI. I don't know what exactly
magnetic therapy is, but I imagine it may use magnets strong enough to
affect a pump.
X-rays are not MRI, though both generate images, medical x-rays do not
involve a strong magnetic field, and there is no reason why x-rays
should affect a pump, though I would make sure that a pump is not in
the field of view of x-rays (regular planar x-rays or CT) since if the
pump is in the field of view of an x-ray machine some parts of it might
show up on the images, and obscure good visualization of whatever body
part is being imaged.
I don't know what an "electronic pain zapper" really does - but I guess
it is good that there is sufficient awareness of pumps for a
manufacturer to mention specifically to recommend against using this
device with a pump.
Nanette (medical physicist working in medical imaging)