Re: [IPk] pump interferences - air travel

>That's a very old issue! It was solved at least 10 years ago, if I
>recall rightly (Ian Grant, you probably know for sure).

Sorry Melissa - you've lost me. I'm specifically talking about my
MiniMed 507 pump, which is mechanically almost identical to the 508.
This may also happen to Paradigm pumps, Disetronic and Animas pumps -
I don't know: I've not played with other pumps in detail.

The tip of my cannula - where the insulin comes out and into my fat -
is at air pressure. It may be under my skin, but that doesn't matter.
Follow the tube back up, and it goes into a reservoir. With all the
filling expertise in the world, I still find bubbles collecting in
the reservoir. If you reduce the air pressure (climb a mountain,
change of weather conditions, or ascend in a plane) those bubbles
will expand, and insulin gets sucked out and into my body. How do
pump vents and things stop that?

John
--
mailto:email @ redacted