From: John Neale <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] pump interferences
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:21:57 +0100

>I didn't think there was a risk really in the ambulance but looking at all
>these electronic things on the shelves like the blood pressure machines and
>resucitation equip I just wondered.

It's good to be cautious; but also good to know where the real risks do
actually lie...

One thing that frightens me is the massive drop in air pressure when flying.
If you've got bubbles in your reservoir, a significant amount of insulin may
get sucked out (and into you) while in the air, and you will be denied that
insulin when you land. Does that make sense? Yet nowhere in the instruction
manuals does it tell you to disconnect while the flight is ascending, and
reconnecting when you reach altitude, and to disconnect on descent, and when
you land, bolus till you see you insulin coming out, and then reconnect. Or
am I being silly?

And I guess a change in air pressure due to a change in weather conditions
might affect insulin delivery as well.

John
--
mailto:email @ redacted