RE: [IPk] Continuous Glucose Monitoring and other things

Hi June / John

>I tried this straight after the Glukowatch when they were both being
>trialled at my hospital.  I did not realise this is what it is called and
>the reason I did not ask the nurse for this is that I like to sort my own
>insulin out rather than have her do it for me.

I did a run with the CGMS - had the sensor in for 5 days and got 4 days of
meaningful results - the fifth day the readings were spasmodic. Whilst my
Diabetes Nurse downloaded the results and gave a few hints on where
improvements to basals could be made - the actual changes were left to me.

>>The Guardian - that
>> does give a continuous reading - seems to be the successor to the CGMS I
>> used. I'm guessing that corners will probably have been cut so it can do
>> this. I'm waiting cautiously to see what people's opinions are of it!

>So am I.  But what are the chances of getting one on the NHS.  I would be
>prepared to buy one but, being retired, do not think I could afford to buy
>the accessories.

I understand that the technology for measuring values is the same - the
Guardian RT just has the ability to display the results. I also understand
that Medtronic are in negotiations with NICE to get retrospective funding
for the sensors - I guess this will be a long winded process.

John - best of luck with your tumour

Adrian