Re: [IPk] Unexpected glucose rise

Hi Frances,

It is VERY early days for you yet.  Does you take a correction bolus, or
do you wait and they come down by themselves?

If you take a correction bolus, then you are right, you need more
insulin.  The 1 unit to 10 grams CHO isn't a rule for everyone, but it's
often used as a starting point because it's so easy to work out, and
many people are around 1:10.

If, on the other hand, you don't use a correction, and your blood
glucose goes back down after 3 or 4 hours, then you have a timing miss-
match, not too little insulin: you can try and fix this by either eating
differently (less carbohydrate,  or lower gylcaemic index), or by
changing the timing of the bolus (e.g. if you have been told to bolus
after eating, try going back to bolusing just before eating, etc.).

But it _could_ also be that you have the set in a 'slow' bit of your
body (?damaged).  So I would change the set, and see what happens.

The stinging happens sometimes, usually with large amounts of insulin
(over 7 units, for me is large).

Best wishes,

Pat

DM 30+, 508 3+