Re: [IPk] Unexpected glucose rise

> i have been on my pump for two days, and so far most times that i eat, i
> give more insulin than i need for the food im eating but my levels have
> been rising far too high 2 hours after my food. there are no air bubbles
> or anything wrong with the pump. i have been giving myself 1 unit for
> every 10g of carbohydrate and im now going to try 1 unit for every 8g, im
> hoping that this will sort it out, but if it doesnt, what do you think it
> may be?

This is what I have done recently.  The nurse laughed at me 1.5 years ago
when I said I wanted to use 1:8 and said this is what pregnant women use!
This made me scared to ask for a lower ratio.  Recently we have broached
this again.  I pointed out to her a graph on a web site, I can find it again
if you want it, which shows the number of people in America who use each
ratio - and they range from 1:40!  I am now on 1:7 but still sorting out the
evening meal like you and this may be different from the other two.  I was
told to first check that it isn't that  I need a bigger basal at this time.
To do this I am fasting for the meal and seeing the results (hourly) using
just basal, no food and no bolus.  It is very interesting.  I have never
taken all this interest until I found this site and I am determined that I
am going to get this sorted out properly so I can miss a meal or have it at
a different time and be safe from problems.

i am > on the disetronic plus and using the rapid d8 insert, is it normal to
be have a stinging sensation when you bolus?

I can't comment on your disetronic as I use the Minimed 508 but I certainly
don't have a stinging sensation when I bolus.  In fact I can't feel it at
all.
The reasons why bgs shoot up vary enormously.  The obvious ones to check are
for bubbles in the tube, oncoming infections, etc.

As I said in another message, to make sure it was not air bubbles I used a
syringe but still had difficulty in getting the bg down.

  You might find  it helpful to write them down as a list so you can
reassure yourself that you haven't forgotten anything.

Thanks for this idea.  I had gone through everything I could think about and
was hoping some with different experience might offer something different
regarding baked beans, constipation or digestion.

>>If there is no obvious cause, I would be tempted to suspect the beans.  I
>>find they send me higher than they 'should' - I blame the high protein
>>content.

So I'm not alone with this.  I expected them to make me not feel hungry.  I
eat Weetabix for breakfast for this reason but it does not leave me with a
high bg.

>>Why not try again and see if you get the same results (i.e. fast over
>>lunch, have beans for tea)?  If you do, then you know to bolus extra for
>>beans in this circumstance.

Good idea.

>>But it may just be 'one of those things' - don't beat yourself up for
>>such odd highs occasionally.

I'm not getting worked up about it, just want to get things as organised as
I can and came up with this problem.

>>Best wishes,

Thanks and Best wishes to you too.

June