From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On
Behalf Of Diana Maynard
Sent: 21 January 2005 13:24
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Hi Marion
What you describe is known as a "dual bolus". Yes, often a dual bolus in

that situation is just as good (or better) than a square wave. In most
cases it probably doesn't make much difference if you use a dual or
square wave, unless you want to square over a long period of time.  A
square wave can also be quite handy for a grazing kind of meal such as
at a party, where you eat a little over maybe several hours. Obviously
you'd have to know roughly how much you're planning to eat, for that to
work, but I've done it on a few occasions, to save taking lots of small
boluses. It does take a bit of trial and error to get this kind of thing

right, and to know if you need to use it or not. Some people never
bother, others swear by them.  I find that if my body typically reacts
by going low and then high after a meal, or if it just goes high some
hours later, then a square or dual is best for me. I tend to split it
about half and half, over 2-3 hours, but YMMV.
Di