[IPk] Re: going back to injections, and ketones for the brain??

Hi Pat

I'm not an Atkins devotee, so feel unable to comment very much on that.

Bernstein is not calorie counted.  His plan is aimed at T1 D on injections,
so there is a certain amount of invariability which I ignore.  He suggests
you find the amount of protein that is right for you at breakfast, lunch and
dinner, and have that same amount of protein each day.  He says you should
limit breakfast to 6g CHO (plus your chosen amount of protein), and 12g each
at lunch and dinner.  The fat comes along with it, rather than added in
deliberately as appears to be the case with Atkins.  So a typical breakfast
might be 2 boiled eggs and a Ryvita, lunch a tuna salad (4 oz tuna) with
mayo and avocado, and dinner might be a pork chop with lots of veg and
unthickened gravy plus a pot of natural yogurt sweetened with carb-free
syrup or carb-free jelly crystals.  You can also have snacks of up to 6g CHO
if you feel hungry.

So what I'm saying is that its not a HIGH protein diet - the amounts of
protein are quite moderate.  But since it has much less carb than a
non-carb-restricted diet, the protein provides proportionately more
calories.  If a normal diet's calories are, say 60:30:10 carb:protein:fat,
and Bernstein's ratios are, say 10:60:30 then the protein is proportionately
higher.

When I'm on the wagon, my BGs are normally utterly predictable on this
regime, with a normal range between 4 and 6, and that includes after meals.
When I'm trying to shake off a post-Christmas desire for pizza and
chocolate, I'm back to bouncing between 12 and 3.

Why not have a look at www.diabetes-normalsugars.com

HTH

Lesley