Re: [IPk] Pump - good and bad

Hi Adrian and Marion,

I'm obviously seeing the glass half empty at the moment, as I can
counter some of the ups on the downs:

>>Bad: Your clinic may only offer one kind of pump - and that means, at
>>worst, you are stuck with a kind of pump that isn't ideal for you (and
>>far from worst, a pump that doesn't match your fashion sense)
>  Upside: Your clinic should know the pump well! You can hide most of the
>pumps - and with the MM pumps you get a remote so it really doesn't matter
>where it is - as long as the infusion set tube will reach and I am sure most
>clinics will give you a choice (when pushed) my Diabetes Nurse said she
>wasn't allowed to recommend a pump only demonstrate the available ones (was
>this Hospital Policy or NHS policy?)

The remote is very ineffective - a friend who designs car fobs says that
the minimed one is about what you'ld expect for a late 80s escort.....

>>Bad: Some people get inflammation from the glue and/or antibacterial
>>agents.
>
>   Upside: Not really one for this one - but in the few this happens a
>solution can usually be found which can be quite easy.

Wish someone could find a solution for me!

>>Bad: Some people find the service from a pump company is lower than they
>>would find acceptable from a car hire company - but whereas with a car
>>hire company you can write an irate letter, and avoid them in future,
>>you are basically stuck with the company concerned. [Effect and Cause]
>
>  Upside: whilst you can't control the service you get from the pump
>manufacturer (and mine has been better than I expected) I feel much more in
>control of my Diabetes.

But would you really re-hire a car from an agency where you felt the'yd
compromised your safety?

>>Bad: one has to carry around spare insulin, sets, etc. etc. - about 5
>>times as much kit as with a pen or syringe.
>
>   Upside: As long as I am within a reasonable distance of home - I don't
>bother with a spare infusion set - no need to carry insulin pens and needles
>on a day trip out.

I think that's playing with fire: what do you do on your days out when
your bgs go up and stay out of range - or perhaps your definition of a
day out is different to mine?

You think I need to be within 30mins of back-up insulin (pen or
syringe), and if I'm not prepared to measure my bg and take an injection
by syringe every hour until I return to kit to change my set, then I
take spare sets.

Because I have a busy life, that can't be dropped to accommodate
diabetes, and I always expect to be let down by public transport and my
car, I take back-up insulin with me everywhere (except walking to the
post box), and back up set/inserter if I know I'm not going to be able
to survived on injections until I get home.

This is probably not proportionate to risk: number of times I've had to
change a set while out are very small.

There are also the people who go on two weeks holiday with no spare
batteries .... I don't know how they can sleep at night!

A child would, I think, not be allowed to walk home from school with a
high, and injecting every hour would be a problem ... so they'd need to
have the full kit with them.

Cheers,

Pat

--